Labor & Trust Market Opportunity
Union membership in the U.S. has changed during the last few decades. Today union membership comprises just 12% of the U.S. workforce – down to 15.3 million members in 2009 from 17.7 million nearly three decades earlier.
The members themselves are also changing. More union members today are women, and by 2020 women will make up the majority. There are more Latinos and Asian Americans represented than ever before, and today’s union members have more years of education than their predecessors – 1 in 3 have a college degree versus 1 in 5 in 1983.
And while their numbers are down, union members are still a force to be reckoned with – especially in the eight states with the highest concentration of union workers: California, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Knowing the importance of the Labor & Trust segment to their overall business objectives, a major health care insurance carrier focused on revitalizing a national, broad and well-established brand to reflect internal and external environmental changes including the impact of the declining union membership.
As part of this strategy, the health care insurance carrier required a fully developed and deployed marketing plan that created cohesive national marketing and communication resources.
- Identify specific needs of Labor & Trust market segment including impact of the Affordable Care Act on benefit offerings.
- Assess the marketing and communication needs throughout the Labor & Trust sales and account management teams.
- Develop and implement a healthcare marketing strategy aligned with overall sales and retention goals.
- Develop and implement a strategic marketing plan aligned to business goals.
- Create Labor & Trust playbook with strategic approach and disciplined methodologies to maximize sales and retention opportunities.
- Create Labor & Trust Value Story that highlighted brand strength and solutions appropriate for clients and prospects.
- Create internal communication plan that enhanced general awareness of relevant Labor & Trust sales and account management retention results.
- Create and manage complete execution of national growth conference that included event theme, pre-event communication, agenda content development, presentation strategy and post-conference evaluation.
- National Labor & Trust Team implemented playbook as a foundation to create a cohesive and disciplined approach to new sales opportunities and account retention. Implementation included training, internal communication plan and rollout during national growth conference.
- Performance evaluation of national growth conference exceeded goals on all conference key performance indicators.
- Internal communication plan, including the creation of internal communication newsletters, was created and implemented targeting a distribution of 500+ organizational leaders.
- All strategic marketing initiatives were delivered on time/budget.